We teach social dance to inspire young ladies and gentlemen to…
- Venture outside their comfort zones, and rise to every occasion with curiosity and courage
- Embrace their classmates as partners and learn to see eye-to-eye
- Celebrate everyday victories as steps to extraordinary accomplishments
- Stand a little taller and feel confident in their own shoes
- 4th, 5th, 7th or 8th grade students, regardless of background or ability
- A Teaching Artist, carefully and systematically selected and trained in the Dulaine Method and the Dancing Classrooms Curriculum
- An Educational Liaison assigned to manage the residency experience from A to Z including an Orientation meeting with staff and students to kick off the program and a Debrief meeting to wrap up
- A ten week, 20-lesson in-school residency program
- A diverse range of social dances—merengue, foxtrot, rumba, swing, tango, waltz, heel-toe polka, salsa and line dances—including the cultural history of each dance form
- A curriculum connection assignment developed with the classroom teachers to support academic content areas
- A video lesson, with active dialogue, exposing students to a variety of social dance forms through history
- A buddy lesson where the Teaching Artist is joined by a professional dance partner to demonstrate all the dances for the students, and where the buddy offers feedback to the students to elevate their own dancing
- A Culminating Event for the school community and families to celebrate the students social-emotional journey through writing and dance
- 20 lessons, 2 times per week. Lessons on any given day must be scheduled consecutively. 2 class minimum. Maximum 30 students per class.
- Residencies are scheduled during three semesters:
- Fall – September to November/December
- Winter – December/January to March
- Spring – April to June
- In your school, during the school day
- A clean, well-lit, un-trafficked space with a hard floor. A gym, all purpose room, cafeteria or auditorium stage is ideal.
Contact us to schedule a new school interview with a member of our team and your stakeholders.