Dancing It Forward
For the second year, adults danced too! As part of Dancing it Forward, two couples of adult competitors from four schools danced the Merengue, Foxtrot, and Swing to raise funds for their 2016-17 school residencies and also “pay it forward” to support a DCLI residency in an under-served school community.
WHAT IS “DANCING IT FORWARD?”
- “Dancing It Forward” is a fun, friendly adult competition event that will provide DCLI’s current school, business and community partners with the opportunity to raise funds that will “pay it forward” to current and new schools interested in a Dancing Classrooms Long Island residency.
- In addition, a portion of the funds raised will be used to “pay it forward” to one or more new schools in underserved areas.
HOW CAN YOU PARTICIPATE?
- To participate in “Dancing it Forward,” a team must be comprised of two couples of adult competitors who agree to compete in an abridged version of the Colors of the Rainbow Team Match. This will take place after the students’ have completed their dance competition rounds at the Match on June 5th.
- Like the student competitors, the adult couples will be invited to learn the Merengue, Foxtrot, and Swing.
- Each team is encouraged to set a fundraising goal and raise as much money as possible in support of their adult competitors.
HOW DOES DCLI SUPPORT THE PARTICIPANTS AND WHAT IS THE BENEFIT OF PARTICIPATING?
- Every “Dancing it Forward” team will receive no-cost rehearsals conducted by a DCLI staff member over the course of May in preparation for the June 5th event.
- DCLI will create a web page, at no cost for each participating team, to facilitate their fundraising efforts in support of the adult competitors.
- Online Fundraising will be open from 12pm EST May 1, 2016 through 12am EST June 15, 2016.
- DCLI will provide master pledge forms and introductory letters for each team to customize and send.
- For our school partner teams, all funds raised will be split 75/25 between the school and DCLI. 75% of the funds will be applied to the school’s 2016-17 Dancing Classrooms residency fee and 25% will go towards DCLI’s fund for assisting an underserved, under-resourced school with their first pilot residency.
- For our business and community partner teams, 100% of the funds raised will ensure Dancing Classrooms Long Island can continue it’s great work going forward in the coming school year.
HOW DOES THE JUDGING WORK?
- The Colors of the Rainbow Team Match panel of judges will score the adult competitors using the same scoring rubric as used for the youth competition.
- The adult competition medals of bronze, silver, and gold will be determined based on the judges’ scoring and will be announced prior to the student medals at the end of the Colors of the Rainbow Team Match.
EVERYONE WINS IN THE END…
DCLI wants to ensure our schools have the funds needed to continue providing the Dancing Classrooms residency for their students. At the same time, we are asking you to partner with us to promote within your community the values of “paying it forward” to help schools that are at risk due to unfortunate economic and infrastructure challenges. Since DCLI’s inception, we have been approached by many Long Island schools and parents who want their children to receive the benefits from a Dancing Classrooms Long Island Residency program. However, these schools, serving under resourced areas, struggle to provide the quality arts and developmental programs for their young people. You can help us change that.
Help your school and DCLI “Dance It Forward” and Transform Lives One Step at a Time.
To register for Dancing it Forward, contact firstname.lastname@example.org